Product ListingBack To The Product Listings
1973 BMW 2002 TiiPosted by bradiger about 5 years, 4 months ago
Location: Emeryville, CA
This particular 1973 BMW 2002tii is a factory black sunroof car that was purchased by the seller in Northern California and imported to Canada, where he restored it from 2006-2008. The current owner purchased the car from its Canadian owner and restorer in 2013, and re-imported it back to the Bay Area of Northern California.
The restoration included the full teardown of the body, engine, interior, and all trim, with the gas tank and rear sub frame removed as well. Subtle modifications were made including deleting the US-spec side markers, adding a Petri steering wheel, and a 2002 Haus 5-speed transmission swap.
The exterior was painted with Glasurit black paint after blocking and priming. Side-marker holes were filled with metal and all aluminum bright work was replaced with OEM BMW new parts. All chrome parts were re-chromed to show quality and all rubber seals and bumper rubber was replaced with OEM BMW rubber. An new BMW windshield and new BMW OEM “roundie” tail lights were installed, and the bumpers tucked in with ’72 bumper brackets, which have a more attractive look than the ’73 units.
Underneath, the body was wire-brushed, cleaned and sealed with two coats of POR15 rust protection paint and Wurth High Build Undercoating under the rear subframe. Wheel-wells received the same POR15 and Wurth treatment. Front wells received the POR15 and POR Chassis Coat. Inside them are period gold Work Equip 03 custom wheels (15×7 front with 195/50 and 15×7.5 rear with 205/50). The car sits very nicely thanks to Bilstein HD shocks and Ireland Engineering springs. Accordingly, cornering is fantastic with a taut, responsive feel.
The car is nicely sorted and has approximately 15k miles since the restoration. A full restoration log can be found here on the 2002FAQ. The car is a quite entertaining to drive as it is fast and tight, gets great gas mileage, and has proven very reliable. It is well-known on the 2002 FAQ board as the previous owner had traveled to numerous events in the US.
The interior is wonderful. The E21 320i sport front seats were recovered with correct vinyl and an NOS tii dash in excellent condition was installed. A new headliner was added with all new rubber door and window seals (OEM BMW). Rear seats are from a BMW 635CSI and were custom fit with a custom parcel shelf. German square weave carpet was added along with a Petri Sport wheel and a restored center console. A Parker Performance Center console plate with VDO gauges for oil pressure, oil temp and water temp looks great. An E30 M3 map light rear view mirror was wired in and is functional, and the seller is proud of the proper Golde sunroof wind deflector, which is very rare. Lastly, an Alpine CDA 9835 Head unit with IPOD control in the glove box, custom kick panel front speakers, and trunk mounted amp and subwoofer deliver acoustics.
The engine was rebuilt with donor block by Markus Glarner Motorworks in Port Perry, ON, a noted Vintage BMW racer and engine builder. It was a performance build including JE forged 10:1 pistons, lightened connecting rods, a hardened crank, Dibilias 284 tii cam, ported head, and new valves. All services were properly finished, all metals plated as correct from the factory, like a Wrinkle coat valve cover, etc. The mechanical fuel injection was properly set-up for the 284 cam. All new OEM BMW hoses were used for cooling, vacuum, and fuel, and Ireland Engineering Poly engine mounts keep things steady. A 320i radiator was selected for optimum cooling, with a new thermostat and fan. A major commitment was the all-new fuel delivery system, including the Tii fuel pump, fuel accumulator, fuel filter, KFISH pump lines, and the proper BMW fuel hoses and fuel hose clamps.
The original Tii fuel tank was removed and resealed during restoration, and a new front wiring harness from BMW Mobile Tradition. A Painless Performance H4 headlight wiring harness supplies an HID conversion within the Euro headlight buckets, and Cibie Oscar Driving lights and Italian turn signals were also added. A battery relocation kit took the dry cell battery to the trunk for better weight balance and space under the hood, and a rebuilt tii alternator was spun to 80A. Lastly, an Ireland ceramic-coated Step Header and Ireland Stainless Steel 2″ exhaust finish off the powerplant.
The 2002Haus 5-speed conversion is the best on the market, and includes a custom cut driveshaft, Z3 shifter, and all brackets to properly align the housing. The gearbox selected was an E21 5-speed transmission that was resealed and has no leaks. A 320i 3.91 LSD was rebuilt in 2012, and likewise has no leaks. New Turbo rear spindles were added along with poly transmission bushings. The rear subframe was stripped down to bare metal, received three coats of POR15 and POR Chassis coat, and was re-installed with new poly bushings, a new Suspension Techniques sway bar, and all replacement bolts purchased new from BMW.
Brakes are the Ireland Engineering big brake front kit with E21 hubs and an Aardvarc Performance rear disc conversion kit. New steel hard lines run throughout the car, and new steel flex lines were added along with new brake fluid reservoir and hoses, which are BMW OEM units.
1973 BMW 2002tii (s/n 2764448) Spec Sheet:
• Factory black, sunroof car
• 2002 Haus E21 5-speed transmission swap
• Custom cut driveshaft and Z3 shifter
• 320i 3.91 Limited Slip Differential
• Ireland Engineering big brake front kit with e21 hubs
• Aardvarc Performance rear disc conversion kit
• New Glasurit black paint
• All aluminum bright work replaced w/ OEM BMW new parts
• All chrome parts were re-chromed
• All rubber seals & bumpers replaced with OEM BMW rubber
• New BMW windshield
• New BMW OEM “roundie” tail lights
• Bumpers tucked in with ’72 bumper brackets
• Underneath, wire-brushed & sealed w/ 2 coats of POR15
• Wurth High Build Undercoating applied under rear subframe
• Bilstein HD shocks
• Ireland Engineering springs
• Ireland ceramic-coated Step Header
• Ireland Stainless Steel 2” exhaust
• Original tii fuel tank was removed and resealed
• New front wiring harness from BMW Mobile Tradition
• Painless Performance H4 headlight wiring harness
• HID conversion within the Euro headlight buckets
• Cibie Oscar Driving lights
• Deleted US-spec side markers
• Italian turn signals
• E21 320i sport front seats
• BMW 635CSI rear seats, custom fit
• Petri steering wheel
• NOS tii dash
• New headliner
• All new OEM BMW rubber door and window seals
• Custom parcel shelf
• German square weave carpet
• Restored center console
• Parker Performance Center console plate w/ VDO gauges
• E30 M3 map light rear view mirror, wired and functional
• Rare Golde sunroof wind deflector
• Alpine CDA 9835 Head unit w/ IPOD control in glove box
• Custom frnt panel speakrs, trunk mounted amp & subwoofer
• Donor block by Marcus Glarner Motorworks in Port Perry, ON
• JE forged 10:1 pistons
• Lightened connecting rods
• Hardened crank
• Dibilias 284 tii cam
• Ported head
• New valves
• All new OEM BMW hoses
• Ireland Engineering Poly engine mounts
• 320i radiator
• All-new fuel delivery system including KFISH pump lines
In all respects, this is a spectacular 2002tii! Currently titled and registered in California, this tii is ready to be enjoyed by on the road by its next enthusiastic custodian!Contact Seller »